Thursday, October 16

deep thoughts from NPR

There was a feature this morning on NPR about arranged marriages in the Muslim faith. They interviewed a young Muslim couple that have been married for 6 years. They both live here in the States, but they still opted to go the traditional route and have their parents select their husband/wife. NPR called them the poster child for arranged marriages because they are truly happy. The husband credited their happiness to his parents good selection and to a lot of hard work. He said growing up he always knew "he'd love his wife no matter who she was."

Interesting, no?

Most Americans don't expect that. They plan to love a spouse as long as he/she keeps making them happy. So when times get hard or the spouse gets annoying or life gets dull, people decide they're not happy and file for a divorce. Done and done.

I think we should all be a bit more like this Muslim couple. While I'm SUPER glad I got to pick Doug myself (no offense, mom and dad), I think we should all have the mind-set that once we choose to marry someone, we will both (key word: both) make our marriage work and, more than anything, that we will love each other.

Thanks, NPR and arranged-marriage-couple, for making me think before I've even had breakfast.

5 comments:

the Allers said...

But there have to be some exceptions. What if your parents chose Carrot Top, or Flava Flav? Or Spencer from the Hills.....

Monica said...

Very nice post. I agree, though, I am glad I got to pick.

John and Karisa said...

That is deep. While I'm glad my parents didn't choose for me (or else I'd definitely be Karisa Hansen--Dallas' wife), John and I are definitely going to choose for Benson, since we have good taste.

John and Karisa said...

I mean, nothing against Dallas. But he's not John.

Kurt and Traci said...

I totally agree. So many people seem to think marriage is a matter of convenience, instead of a matter of commitment. Us newlyweds have all the answers, don't you think? :)