Tuesday, December 16

a christmas miracle

Last August I purchased what Wal-Mart allegedly believed was a mum plant. It looked cute on our front porch for about 4.25 days, and then it became brown and shriveled. And ugly. I did all I could to revive it, but it wasn’t having any of it.

I decided to put the eyesore on our back porch until I could decide what to do (I have a hard time throwing things away, okay?!). Within a few weeks the plant actually started showing new green growth, so it renewed my hope. It kept growing taller and taller, but alas it was all green and no flowers. My sister warned me that mums only bloom once a year, so I eventually gave up on it.

But then... a few weeks ago after an especially wet weekend, I opened up the blinds to find this:



And do you what this is?

It’s a Christmas miracle.

(It's also a sign that Wal-Mart doesn't know how to properly label plants.)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all an unseasonably warm December!

8 comments:

The Mortensens said...

Merry Christmas - everyone!

Bethany said...

Jackie, I share you unwarranted optimism in plant revival. My basil had to sit dead on my kitchen windowsill for a full week before I could bear to throw it out. :)

Suzanne said...

My dead, dead, dead front yard is very jealous.

AnnaYoung said...

LEsson: Just becuase something looks worthless doesn't mean it can't become something great! So don't throw it away. And also, don't trust hte garden department at wal mart.

I will now start saving up for all the extra weight charges we will be assessed since I'm not throwing anything away ever again. Let the miracles begin! yes!

John and Karisa said...

It's like a metaphor for life. If you ever have to give a lesson in hope, and not giving up on people, bring in the plant.

Where are you guys spending Christmas? Hope it's great! And hope your birthday yesterday was the best EVER.

the meyersons said...

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

He comes early in the month to the plants.

Chelsey said...

Maybe that's my problem with plants--mislabeling. Somehow I always manage to kill them. Sigh.

Merry Christmas!

Jukebox said...

This plant looks a little daisy-esque. . . . I'd agree with you about Wal-Mart. Happy Christmas (a little late) and a very great New Year!!