Wednesday, January 28

books on tape

I already like Raisinets, NPR, and Matlock. So just when I thought I couldn’t feel more like a 75-year-old woman, I discover that I also totally dig books on tape (uh, CD)(okay, audio books).

When we moved cross-country last summer, I had my first exposure to the wonder of audio books. Harry Potter really got us through some hard spells. And then my love for audio books was rekindled on our drive up to NJ last Thanksgiving, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

My commute to work is only 10 to 15 minutes, but I’ve noticed that listening to books has really made me look forward to my drive. Our library has an excellent selection too. This month alone I’ve listened to “A Christmas Carol,” “The Five People You Meet in Heaven,” and the second book in the “Ender’s Game” series, all in 10- to 15-minute intervals. Oh baby.

But for the record, now that I listen to so many books, I listen to less NPR. So as far as my old lady-ness goes, I think it’s fair to call it a draw.

9 comments:

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

You and Dan are twins! Well...for liking audio books at least. I don't think you look alike or kiss alike. Wait...what?

kev&chels said...

i'm with ya on this! I LOVE them and I love a good murder mystery on tape too. ie jessica fletcher. so fun!

Michael and Lindsay Condie said...

I love the 5 people you meet in heaven! good book. And apparently even better on tape!

CNG 4 Utah said...

I'm an avid audio book listener too. I drive a lot for work and I've found that listening to a book really makes the time fly by and the drive a lot easier.

Some people think it's weird, but I put them on my iPod too and listen while running. It makes me look forward to the run and it keeps me from getting bored.

I just barely finished Speaker for the Dead yesterday, but I read that one the old fashioned way.

Monica McCoy said...

Totally love books on ape. I am proud of being like a grandma. In the past month I have completed th Chronicles of Narnia series and have started on the third book of another 13 book series. Go us young "old" people!

Suzanne said...

Jackie... I suggest you also take up knitting. Oh, and a cat or two or thirteen would really round it out.

Lindy said...

I'll kick you in the book on tape.

Wonderland Pearls & Purses said...

Oh a kindred spirit! I never thought I would meet another girl my age who like Matlock. You would not believe the torment one's husband inflicts on one when he catches...okay me.

the meyersons said...

Like I've said before. I'm making you a purple sweatshirt with iron-on kitties and puffpaints.