Saturday, March 28

we did it!


We came, we ran, we got free t-shirts.

We ran the Monument Avenue 10k yesterday, and it was a blast. The weather cooperated (no rain--just overcast and cool) and it was a heck of an experience. Monument Avenue is beautiful, there were TONS of people (over 26,000 finishers!), strangers were cheering for all of us, and there were costumes galore. The race was raising money for cancer research, and it was moving to see runners wearing signs on their back saying "Cancer survivor" or "I'm running for so-and-so." One group was all wearing t-shirts that said, "Cancer, you messed with the wrong woman." Very inspiring.

We were able to basically run the entire 6.2 miles, and Doug was kind enough to stick with my slow-yet-steady pace. He pushed me when necessary, and he refused to let Ms. Pac Man and friends beat us. Thank goodness.
Teams Shafer, Hutchison, and Miles

So we did it. And here's to the friends, strangers, and cancer survivors that rocked our world yesterday! It was a fabulous experience, and I'm almost dumb enough to want to do it again. Almost.

Huzzah!
Please enjoy my CBE shorts from high school. If I do this again, I'm splurging and buying some shorts from this decade. GO PATRIOTS!

11 comments:

Chelsey said...

Good job guys! That's awesome! So, apparently my gym is giving a free month's membership fee if you can bring in one of the shirts from the race, which made me consider running in it... then I realized it was the same weekend as my surgery. Too bad! Maybe they'll have the same promotion next year!

Hksedwick said...

Okay...the running is great, but mostly I am impressed with that picture. How did you get a picture of the jump like that?? AMAZING

Lindy said...

Yes!!!!!!!!!! Now you have to run from coast to coast, and then you'll finally earn my respect.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

WOW! We are super proud of you guys! Love the jumping picture! You know I love a good jump shot! I think every trip or adventure you take you should have that same shot - same jump - same face and then make a HUGE collage of it on your wall.

I am just sayin...

Kadi said...

So awesome! Way to go. You guys rock. I'm so glad you did it and you ran the whole time and finished in a time you wanted...you guys are amazing.

KaSs MiLeS said...

i am very proud!!! you did great! i would probably have a heart attack and die after mile # 1. ;0)

Alyson said...

Seriously, that picture of you guys jumping is fantastic. How did I not see you all there? Crazy. Maybe because there were THOUSANDS of people there. It was insane! And what a great husband to run with you. Mine would have left me at the start line.

Suzanne said...

My favorite part of that first picture is the people standing behind Jackie look and laughing with/at you. Priceless.

And congrats! Running is super hard and you should be super proud!

Liz Smith said...

yeah!!!! you're my hero!!!

John and Karisa said...

ALL RIGHT JACKIE! Did they have good refreshments at the end? You guys look like you still have energy to run another 10K by the height you got on your celebration jump!

Kellie said...

You have to be the cutest girl! You look fab-o in your running gear and congrats on completing the 10K.