Sunday, March 20

stay classy: church edition

The Shafers were on a roll today. We learned the top 3 ways to be a class act at church:

1. Walk into church and realize the talk you thought you were giving next week is actually TODAY. I had 15 minutes to put together a 15-minute talk. Awesome.

2. Make a scene when your wife is sitting up on the stand and your daughter rolls off the pew and slams her face onto the plastic Cheerios container. It left a doozy of a bruise, perfectly shaped like a Cheerios container. It's safe to say she screamed like the dickens.

3. Have your phone start ringing during the other speaker's talk. It was my phone, but since I wasn't sitting with Doug he had to frantically search through the depths of my bag to find it. It took an uncomfortable amount of time for him to turn it off. Who was calling? Walgreens Pharmacy. Turns out my prescription from last week was ready. Already knew that, thanks.

We always know how to make a good impression.

12 comments:

Karisa and John said...

Niiice. Nothing like a leisurely Sunday morning at church! Did you leap up and yell out at when the phone rang, "NOW WHAT????!"

How did the talk go? Are you glad you served a mission and can whip stuff out of nowhere?

Miggzy said...

You guys are pretty amazing though...I am positive your spiritual talks made up for the extra stuff! Just know the Fongs would have enjoyed the entertainment!

Liz Smith said...

hahahahaha. nice. :)

Lindy said...

I must admit i laughed out loud. I'm sure you still did great, but aht it super classic.

KaSs MiLeS said...

Oh. My. Gosh. What a day!! So sorry, sure made for a good post tho. :)

CYD said...

that sounds like a nightmare! i hope the afternoon was a bit better after church. how is addy's face today?

melissa said...

Good news is, maybe they won't ask you to speak again for a long long time? We can only hope...

Michal Thompson said...

Sunday's like those make you want to take a nap when you get home!

the Allers said...

AWESOME. Similar to when I opened a carbonated water and it fizzed and sprayed all over the gym floor. May or may not have had a swear slip out. Ug. I think you win though. I'd panic if I had to give a talk with no prep. Team Shafer!

Stacey said...

Seriously! Ouch!! It always happens in 3s. So sad for Doug, but seriously way to go on the talk. No preparation stress, no anxiety for weeks, done and done. I bet you did great! I would much rather they tell me 15 min before than 2 weeks.

R said...

Oh my word! Thank you for giving the rest of us permission to be just as classy.

Monica McCoy said...

When we were in Provo we came busting into church a few minutes late. They were still singing the opening hymn so we weren't THAT late. Then some guy got up and said the closing prayer. Turns out it was daylight savings, and guess who forgot to change their clocks?
-Justin