Tuesday, April 5

10k? check!

Last Saturday we ran the Monument Avenue 10k here in Richmond.
With 41,000 runners, it was a blast as always. We loved the bands, the costumes, and the chance to be a part of Richmond... you can't help but love all the strangers cheering you on and the 100s of people running for cancer fundraising.

We had my dad on our minds (and our backs),

and last minute Doug decided he wanted to wear a costume... hence the sweet tooth cape.

It's always fun to see which friends are participating, and to realize just how badly they're going to school you (even when they're pregnant... amazing).

While the spirit of the race was really fun, I have to admit that it was a really hard run for me. My time was nothing to brag about, but I'm still so relieved to know I finished. My health this past year has really shaken what little confidence I had in my running ability. I felt sick and exhausted off and on for so many months that it was difficult to do anything without a coughing attack or an allergic reaction to something. I didn't start really running regularly again until the end of February, and I didn't dare do anything far from home or without my trusty inhaler.

In early March I braved my first run outside since before Addy, and I was able to run about 3 miles without coughing or stopping. I came in the house and just started bawling... I was so grateful to feel like I was finally healing. While Doug probably thought I was capital C-razy at times like that, he's been so supportive and I couldn't have finished the 10k without him. He stayed with me the whole run the day of, and he helped us run non-stop the whole time. Thinking of the hard things my dad has gone through helped motivate me too... I didn't want to wimp out on him.

So running the 10k? Check!

Looking like trash the whole time but not vomiting or swearing? Double check!

12 comments:

Furniss Family said...

Love it! I'm sure your dad is proud :) It was so fun and it was so fun to go there with all of you. You all did awesome and I was so grateful of what a beautiful day it was :)

Megan said...

Way to go! I'm so impressed by you and so happy you are finally starting to feel better. Way to be awesome.

Traci said...

Nice work Jackie!

Emily said...

You running people amaze me. I once ran an entire mile without stopping. ONE mile... in 8th grade... and I barely beat 10 minutes.

Right now I think I'd be lucky to run 100 yards without stopping or coughing. :) Congrats on the awesome accomplishment!

whitney said...

that's awesome jackie! i'm so sorry that you've had such a hard time with your health this last year, but i'm glad things are on the up and up. way to go on running 6.2 miles NON-STOP!!

Liz Smith said...

you're amazing, Jackie. Hands down. congrats!

and for the record, i can barely run a mile without stopping...and that's without allergies.

The Richmans said...

Good job! Three miles after not running for that long is awesome! (I don't think I could even do a mile right now.)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

High Fives Shafers! Love it!

Suzanne said...

Anyone who runs any distance is an all-star in my book. Well done, Shafers, well done.

CYD said...

Congrats Shafers...very proud of you guys. Jackie, you can really jump high, bet you're great at Volleyball. Or should I say Bolleyball, Vishnu, Bolleyball.

-Phil

Joy and Ted said...

So proud of you...especially the fact that I've never heard you complain about your health. You are amazing!

Stacey said...

Well done!! You do look H. O. T!! JK