Wednesday, June 1

the false security of sunscreen

Today I went to a dermatologist for a long-overdue checkup of my skin. My family has a history of melanoma (ugh), so I wanted to make sure all was well.

The doctor gave me the thumbs up for now, but did say I should avoid the sun as much as possible, especially from 10 am to 3 pm. He said don't be weird about it, but the more sun the greater risk all of us have of getting skin cancer. And if a kid gets burnt (such as wee Addy), it doubles their chance of getting cancer later in life.

"Oh, and no more happiness."

And he mentioned that the majority of sunscreens don't really work. They might prevent you from getting red, but they don't stop the deadliest UV rays. So much for those healthy tans. This article sums it up really well.

Talk about a party pooper...

12 comments:

emily and logan said...

I have nothing but regret about all those sunburns I got growing up. Now I worry about River all the time in the sun. He's the fairest of them all...

Liz Smith said...

i regret all my teenage time in the sun....but has that stopped me? sadly no. i am dumb.

the Allers said...

I may or may not have bought a GIANT floppy hat for the very same reasons. Yes. I have become that lady....

Alicia said...

You can join our pool group! We usually go after 3 pm. :)

Brittany said...

Gotta love the dermatologists. Not sure if you ever noticed the giant scar on my face but that is from having skin cancer removed. I was 25 when I got it. Not cool.

I agree on the "no more happiness" bit from staying out in the sun. My doc told me to avoid it from 10-4, so at least you get an extra hour in there! :)

Lindy said...

WHAT??? Why don't they make sunscreen that works then? I'm very confused. And my OB told me that over 80% of her patients have vitamin D deficiencies because they don't get enough sunlight. Serenity now!

Stacey said...

I'm in the big floppy hat club too. Think of the amount of burns I've had in my life. I karumba!

Bone Junior said...

This goes against everything I believe. Total party pooper.

Stacey said...

It's actually "aye karumba", but you probably already knew that. The editor in me thought about it all the way through my shower and so I had to check. The things that bother me????

Jackie said...

We are SO sisters, Stace. :)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

So what you're saying is..."Jess, your toast!"

I feel as if I have a little Grandma Shirley in me and I worship the sun a little too much! In 10 years I will just be one large mole. Sigh...I feel as if being tan makes me less fat. Go ahead and laugh...

Michal Thompson said...

so now what? Might as well hide in a whole. I too have to be careful in this department.