Tuesday, June 7

a turtle's tale

...or "the weekend we terrorized a turtle named Marty."

On Saturday Doug and Addy were playing on a jungle gym in the greenway behind our apartment. Addy crawled underneath and stooped down to pick something up... a turtle!

Doug checked it out and thought it didn't look so good. It was a super hot day, there's no water nearby, and between the kids running around and the lawn care team, that little guy was not in a good place.
He was clearly a box turtle, so we wondered if he was somebody's pet that had "walked" away (hey, it happens... ask my sister). We posted a few signs, asked around a bit, and brought him inside. We gave him water, lettuce, and named him Marty, short for Martín.
We let him play outside and he was a hit with the neighbors. But while we really enjoyed Marty, he didn't seem to be enjoying us. He looked scared out of his friggin mind. I did some research, and wild and petstore box turtles look the same. We started to wonder if Marty had somehow crawled 300 feet from a small creek behind our complex all the way to the jungle gym.

So after unintentionally terrorizing Marty for a weekend, we ceremoniously released him into the wild. I made a speech, Addy said her goodbyes, and Doug let him loose into the creek.
He took off swimming, and is now probably telling his turtle comrades about his recent kidnapping.
This may be one of the only pets we ever have, so thanks, Marty, for 48 hours of bliss. But we do apologize if it was 48 hours of torture for you.

10 comments:

Charity Brown said...

Haha. What a funny post! We once "rescued" a stray cat for a few days and nursed it back to health. Kind of reminds me of that.

Alicia said...

Go Marty GO! He's probably pretty happy now. :) The box turtle I had growing up looked a little different. I'm sure he'll miss you guys too.

Katie said...

Oh that Marty. So glad we had the pleasure of meeting him, (even though he scared me out of my friggin mind-or touching him anyway)

Bone Junior said...

I used to see box turtles all the time in PA, but I totally forgot all about them! I think you deserve the Humanitarian of the Year award for your rescue efforts. I think the lettuce was a nice touch.

the Allers said...

HA!

CYD said...

I say Marty was really just Tommy still wandering from his weird turtle pen. He's a looooong way from Alabama though! :0
p.s. how kind of you to rescue/torture him for a few days. builds character.

Suzanne said...

Oh, Marty.

Stacey said...

Why the no pet ban?

Michal Thompson said...

We found one crossing the road yesterday. I am sure my kids would be sad to hear that they didn't get to have a pet for 48 hours. Also, the only pet the might have had!

Dallings said...

Hey he got a sweet name out of the deal. You saved him from the kids too.