Sunday, July 3

a gift 11 years in the making

When I was 18 or so, my mom forced me to deal with my t-shirt hoarding. As a teenager I had acquired approximately one zillion t-shirts from school, sports, church stuff, yada, yada, yada, and as I headed off to college she wanted me to man up and let some go.

To ease my pain, she offered to make me a quilt using some of my most beloved shirts as patches. I meticulously selected the shirts, we cut them into patches, and then we bought all the other fabric and supplies she would need. I helped her start it, but then I went to BYU, life got busy, and the quilt got placed in a bag.

My mom said that bag plagued her every time she looked in her craft closet. Apparently it became her Mt. Everest, and she just never got around to finishing it.

Until now.

So, behold, the t-shirt quilt I received in the mail this week, 11+ years in the making:

Fun, eh? I've already broken it in with a nap, and it's really quite cozy. I love looking at the patches and realizing what was important to me at 18. Such good memories, and such a clever way to calm a troubling addiction.

My mom rocks!

11 comments:

Kadi said...

Jackie! You and Joel. I promised Joel before we got married that if he would get rid of some of his beloved tshirts I would make him a tshirt quilt...that was, um, over 8 years ago...still no quilt, but a box of tshirts that I have now asked his sweet sister if she would make her brother a tshirt quilt...and then I offered Joel's help to her. Nice, I'm pretty much the best wife ever. I'm being sarcastic. The quilt looks awesome and I bet it totally brings back fun memories. Your mom does rock!

Karisa and John said...

I have 2 or 3 of those same exact tee-shirts! And my lucky sports number was #18, because I was looking forward SO MUCH to the time that I'd be 18.

Megan said...

My number was 15, too! Love the quilt.

Hksedwick said...

Every time I tell Rich he needs to throw away a t-shirt he gets this sad puppy dog look. He tells me it is his favorite and I tell him that it no longer has armpits and that is gross. So I told him I would make such a quilt and he has already saved up 10 or so t shirts, I think this is going to be a massive quilt...some day I may actually do it! Good for your mom.

The Fox Family said...

Oh how awesome! I also have all mine stashed for a "t-shirt quilt" I am not sure it will ever happen though. Maybe I could get my Mom to do it! ;)

Katie said...

That is awesome. I wish my mom did something like that. I guess it's not too late, eh.

Michal Thompson said...

I've got a zillion t-shirts of Connor's sitting in a bag that needs some of this too.

CYD said...

Ha! The Far Side Tees. That's awesome. And wait, did you play volleyball? :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Jackie...that is so cool!
Great job, Joyce! Interestingly enough I also have one of those boxes full of t-shirts (mostly my husband's and kids shirts) that were to be made into a quilt... except that I have never had any intention of doing it myself. Can I hire Joyce...ha! ha!? Shawn

Liz Smith said...

i love it!!! i wish i had done that with my old t-shirts instead of tossing them.

Stacey said...

The number 15 rocks!! Your number should of been 18. Remember I DIDN'T want you born on my birthday. In hind sight, I wish you were. It would be fun to share a b-day.