Wednesday, August 24

quakepocalypse 2011


Yesterday afternoon we had a 5.9 earthquake. The epicenter was only 30 miles or so from here, so we felt it no problem. I was sitting at our desk when the rumbling started. It was shaking the whole house, so at first I thought it was just a truck passing by. But when it kept going, I realized, "Holy crap! We're having an earthquake!"

Addy was asleep, so I ran upstairs and ripped her door open. She was completely out, so I hesitated because the fear of an earthquake was up against my fear of ruining her nap. Illogical and unsafe? Perhaps. There was nothing over her crib and I could tell it wasn't super strong, so I just stood in the doorway watching her and the clock. I actually started thinking of my friend Anna, who went through the Japan earthquakes earlier this year. All I could think was "ANNA, YOU ARE MADE OF STEEL."

When it finally stopped (2 hours later, it seemed?), Doug called me right away. Of course I sounded hysterical telling him we were fine and making sure he was too. He said he was standing in the waiting room of the clinic when it started. He had just met his patient and they were about to head back, so they all just stopped and stared at each other. As a Washingtonian, he's been through his fair share of earthquakes. So he started inching towards the waiting room desk, getting ready to dive under it if he needed to. Luckily no diving was required. We're glad he called me when he did, because our phones stopped working right after. Thank goodness for Facebook and email.

I think what freaked me out more than anything was that this is RICHMOND. VIRGINIA. We do hurricanes and tornadoes, thanks. Our buildings are old, they're not built for earthquakes, and people here are not equipped for this. I'd actually heard there was a big fault line here before, but nobody ever talks about it. I'd been through one earthquake before while I lived in California, but it was more wavey and didn't freak me out as much.

So after our tornado scare, our earthquake scare, and our hurricane warning for this weekend, suffice it to say Doug and I went to the store last night and beefed up our emergency preparedness stuff. There were a lot of crazies there too, but I considered it good company.

7 comments:

Traci M said...

Kurt felt it up here in NY, but I didn't. :( So "fun" that you're right near the action! I'm glad no one got hurt, and I love your picture at the top. :) The world is coming to an end!

Alyson said...

I kind of wish I hadn't moved! I could be one of the survivors. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. And I probably would have done the same thing with Griffey in the crib sleeping. Solid parenting! Good luck with your hurricane this weekend. Makes me feel like the unbearable heat in Oklahoma is somewhat bearable!

Jeff and Nichole said...

i heard about this yesterday and I thought of you guys. I am so glad you are safe! How scary.

Michal Thompson said...

We felt it down here. There was a plane going over at the same time so I thought it was that, but it kept going, so i figured it was something bigger. glad you are safe

melissa said...

Jake showed me that fallen patio chair picture yesterday and I almost died. That's hilarious. But in all sincerity, that is definitely scary and I'm glad you guys are all safe! I grew up with earthquakes, but when we had a few rumblers in Saratoga Springs right before we moved, I was definitely freaked out and had a difficult time sleeping for the next little bit. Crazy stuff.

Dallings said...

Girl you are a survivor! I hope Doug has one of those flashlight head lamps.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Well nothing like living through a tornado and an earthquake in one year! How close is the hurricane from you? I think you all need bubble suits in your 72 hour kits!