So I can smell again. It is an absolute miracle, and I'm so SO grateful.
At first I was weeping because I could smell Addy's shampoo again, I could taste again, yada yada yada. It was so exciting. But do you know what stinks now? 75% of my life stinks to me now. It smells so strong. Our house, our kitchen, my clothes. You name it, I probably hate the smell of it.
As my dad said to me last night, I'd complain if I were hung with a new rope.
Since some of you asked... why can I now smell? I truly don't know. I believe it's either some of these or a combination of all of them:
- The dry weather in Colorado finally clearing up my sinuses
- My top allergens taking a rest here in Virginia
- Straight Mucinex for over a week (but now I only take it once every few days, if that)
- Dropping some other medicines that may have been affecting my sense of smell
- A heck of a lot of prayer
- Priesthood blessings from both Doug and my dad
The first time I noticed it was about halfway through our trip in Colorado. I got up early one morning to take care of Addy, and with her sitting on my lap I realized I could smell her shampoo for the first time in months. I may have started crying my eyes out. Since then I've been able to smell more often than not, and it's seriously life-changing. Although everything reeks to me, I have to say I'll never take smell for granted again.