Monday, August 15

smelling

So I can smell again. It is an absolute miracle, and I'm so SO grateful.

At first I was weeping because I could smell Addy's shampoo again, I could taste again, yada yada yada. It was so exciting. But do you know what stinks now? 75% of my life stinks to me now. It smells so strong. Our house, our kitchen, my clothes. You name it, I probably hate the smell of it.

As my dad said to me last night, I'd complain if I were hung with a new rope.

Since some of you asked... why can I now smell? I truly don't know. I believe it's either some of these or a combination of all of them:
- The dry weather in Colorado finally clearing up my sinuses
- My top allergens taking a rest here in Virginia
- Straight Mucinex for over a week (but now I only take it once every few days, if that)
- Dropping some other medicines that may have been affecting my sense of smell
- A heck of a lot of prayer
- Priesthood blessings from both Doug and my dad


The first time I noticed it was about halfway through our trip in Colorado. I got up early one morning to take care of Addy, and with her sitting on my lap I realized I could smell her shampoo for the first time in months. I may have started crying my eyes out. Since then I've been able to smell more often than not, and it's seriously life-changing. Although everything reeks to me, I have to say I'll never take smell for granted again.

10 comments:

Katie said...

That's pretty exciting! I didn't think it would come back to normal. I feel like I have a super sniffer some times, and I have to surround myself with smells I like.

Anitra said...

Welcome to my world of super sensitive smelling!!! =) Seriously though... I'm so glad you can smell and taste again. Did you finally find a combo of meds for the allergies that work?

Matt and Ness said...

Congratulations! I didn't even know how you were suffering this whole time! I hate the smell of everything, too. This afternoon's outing is to Bath & Body to get delicious soaps and candles, because I'm tired of smelling unpleasantness.

CYD said...

I guess with this blessing comes the need for Vicks Vapo Rub. Use it - for realsies!! Except maybe you hate that smell too. Then dad is right...

the Allers said...

Being hung on a new rope totally sucks.....

Michal Thompson said...

So what helped you smell again?

Lindy said...

I don't care to be hanged on a new or old rope. However, I am most grateful for your smelling. If you were over here tonight you could reiterate with Ryan how much he smells like garlic from that stupid humus he ate. Maybe he wouldn't do it again.

Lindy said...

PS I meant reiterate to Ryan, not with Ryan. And he just walked by holding baby Lizzie--he smells like garlic.

Katie said...

After not smelling for so long, everything smells a lot more powerful, don't it? Thanks for posting all your vacation trips. I loved checking them out. Now I have the urge to Just Dance!

melissa said...

Yay for smells! Welcome back to the world of knowing your kid has a poopy diaper - just by being in the same room with him/her. And gagging while changing said poopy diaper. Speaking of diapers, Hailey just woke up. But back to smells, how did you get your smell back?? I'm dying to know.