Tuesday, August 30

sometimes you blog about bugs

Whilst playing outside with Addy a few weeks ago, I captured photographic evidence of the gigantor bugs that are living just outside our door.

At first all I could hear a buzzing, and eventually I figured out it was coming from the cable box near our back porch. There was an enormous wasp (called an Eastern Cicada Killer, according to the world wide web) carrying a dead cicada about three times its size. It was trying to get through a hole that made me think the guy didn't do his math when he picked his nest.


You have to admire him for his persistence, though. He tried getting in there again and again and again and AGAIN. It's like he was thinking "Maybe it will fit THIS TIME. Or maybe THIS TIME. Or THIS TIME." I went for the camera, came back and took these pictures, and then watched him keep trying until we went back inside the house. It's like he couldn't let it go, and I just couldn't look away.


The funny part? There's already a dead cicada on the ground. Clearly he'd gone through this routine before, but he thought the second time would be different.

Chin up, Eastern Cicada Killer. But it's time to find a new dream.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Ummm . . . I could use a closer shot. Could you zoom in a bit or maybe get a bit closer? I know how you love bugs, spiders, snakes and such. :)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

You. Are. A. Nut.

ps. wish I could have watched that!