Tuesday, January 10

sometimes you hit a deer

Doug is now a deer-slayer. Or at least his Civic is.

Last week he was driving home from a rotation in Middle-of-Nowhere, Virginia. It was dark and he had three other guys from his class in the car. There was no one else around on the small highway, so once he saw the deer he had time to at least slow down a bit. Fortunately, the car did okay and is still drivable. The deer? He wasn't so lucky. Apparently they had a moment of silence for him while quoting (as you can imagine) "Tommy Boy."


I'm no deer enthusiast, but I'm still so SO grateful that Doug and the guys are okay and the damage to the car is minor. Plus, I'm thankful our insurance is going to be SUPER helpful.

And last but not least, I'm grateful that the rain graciously washed away the last of the deer hair on the hood. Ugh.

8 comments:

Karisa and John said...

Hitting a deer used to be my #1 worst nightmare! (But now that I have kids, and also almost $200K debt, the nightmares have switched a little bit.)

I'm glad Doug and the car were okay. Poor little dear deer.

Alicia said...

Oh!! Soo sad! For your car and the deer. :(

Wade H. said...

I swear I've seen a lot of stuff in my life, but that... was... AWESOME! Ha ha.... but sorry about your car man.

CYD said...

Oh, poor poor Cydney Civic. Wait-you didn't know that was her name? Anyway. Glad they were all okay. it's unfortunate Doug didn't have the experience I did the first time I hit one. Dad showed up w/ a shotgun. Luckily I'd already put it out of its misery. Good times.

Liz Smith said...

so scary!!!! i'm glad they were all okay.

Jessie said...

This happened to us in Utah. I can still see the image of that deer's head whipping around the front of the car and smashing into my passenger side door... ugh.. and he left an unpleasant amount of hair stuck to the hood and bumper. Thank goodness for insurance! So glad Doug is safe!

Kelli and Dana said...

Glad he is ok. Wait...I seem to remember a story dana always tells about Doug's car in high school called 'the deer slayer'. Oh deer!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Did he bring Bambi home...that there is good meat! You could skin it and have meat for 6 months!

Food Storage!