Tuesday, May 14

thanks for the compliment, aren't I the worst?

I have a problem with accepting compliments. Call it humility, call it a lack of confidence, or call it being just plain awkward, but as soon as someone compliments me, I always have to talk them out of it. Or at least convince them that I'm still lame somehow.

"Dinner tastes great!"
Me: "Eh, I overcooked it."

"I love your painting!"
Me: "Thanks, but the strokes are all weird."

"I like your hair today!"
Me: "Yeah, I did it. FOR ONCE."

"I like you."
Me: "WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?! I'M THE ABSOLUTE WORST!"

I didn't realize I had this habit until a friend pointed it out to me in college. Actually, what he noticed is that if someone complimented how I looked, I always had to make an ugly face. You know, so I looked less-good or something.

Ever since then, I noticed how capital W Weird I am with compliments. I try to just say "thank you" and then I shut my big fat yapper. But I swear I'm biting my tongue and stifling about 100 self-deprecating comments.

What is my deal?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm the same way. I don't know why I do it either. And for the record, I don't think you're weird. I think it's a normal thing to do. At least I hope it is. :)

Emily said...

I'd say it's normal. Or at least, I do it too.

Kim said...

We have to got to be long lost twins. You totally described me to a T there, including the pulling a face when someone compliments my physical appearance. Ha. Gotta love it.