Thursday, September 19

a good morning

Tuesday the girls slept in a bit (a gift from above), so I got to stay in bed, read my scriptures, and wake up slowly for a change. Around 7:45 Addy got up, thus putting me on duty, so I told her I wanted to shower real quick before Gracie woke up.

But then things changed.

As I hopped out of the shower, I started to feel some crazy stomach cramps. They were sudden, they were painful, and--just to add some drama--in some ways they felt like contractions. It was an intestinal pain, but the pain made me so light-headed that I thought I was going to throw up.

I laid down on the bathroom floor with a towel on my head and nothing else (not a pretty picture? yes, I know--I was there). Addy sat by watching this sudden change, and she seemed pretty puzzled. I told her I was sick and I asked her for some crackers, and she gladly took off running.

She came back talking a mile a minute (like she does): "Mom, I couldn't find the crackers. But I think I'm sick too. Can I have crackers? Hey, Mom? Can I have crackers? Go get me crackers, please. Oh, Gracie is awake. Did you know that?"

I did know that, because I can hear Grace yelling "OUT! OUT!", begging to get out of her crib.

I then get a call from a number I don't recognize, and I answer because I think it's the number of a friend that's watching another friend's daughter that I've agreed to take to preschool that morning (you follow?). (Oh, and preschool starts in less than an hour... quite inconvenient since I'm currently in the fetal position on the floor.)

I answer the phone, hoping to tell this friend I can't drive, and it turns out it's a rep asking some questions about Doug's dental practice (I do some marketing stuff for the office). I try to sound professional as I pull on some clothes, crawl into Gracie's room, and get her out of the crib. He does his shpeel and I tell him I'll have to call back. As he keeps pushing the conversation my girls are LOUDLY asking for milk and breakfast and crackers and a dress and a lovey... NO! the other lovey. Finally, the guy gets off the phone.

By now we're downstairs and I throw some food on the table. The stomach pains are no better and I can't think of what to do. I'm curious if it's food poisoning, so I call Doug to see if he's sick. I also wanted someone to know I was sick (besides Addy and the dental rep). He has patients, but he tells me to take Mylanta (duh!) and offers to call my sister or a friend and ask for help.

I decide to let Mylanta do its best before I ask for help. I try the fetal position on the family room floor now (better than the bathroom floor). The girls are pretty indifferent to my condition now (heck, there's breakfast to eat), but I put on cartoons just to buy me some more time.

I start to feel better, but I accept that Addy will not be on time for school. I let a friend know, and she offers to take her and the other little girl. Blessing! I throw a dress on Addy, and send her out the door with bedhead.

The pain continues to fade. Gracie plays toys while I graduate to curling up on the couch. Eventually, I try eating a little something. It stays down. Gradually I move around without the pain.

And then, after two hours, the drama is over. Just as suddenly as the pains came, now boom--it's a normal day.

Man... sometimes getting sick as a parent really bites.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Um, stay safe please. Get yourself checked just in case? And for Heaven's sake, get Addy some crackers already. But for reals, I hope all is well now. xoxo