We returned from Jake's funeral on Monday. Both Doug and I were able to drop work and school fairly easily and head out to NJ for a few days. It was so good to be with Jenn and Travis, and it was an extra bonus to see my parents and all my sisters again. We got through the weekend the Dunlop way—a lot of laughter and a lot of crying. The funeral services were just beautiful, and I would guess at least 150 people came. I think that's pretty impressive for a guy that was only around for 6 months, especially since only a fraction of us there had been able to meet him. The funeral was truly a celebration of his short little life. Most of his nurses from the Children's Hospital came and it meant a lot to us to be able to thank them for helping Jake day after day. He was buried at a very historic cemetery in Princeton (right by the University—President Grover Cleveland is buried there too… fancy) and it's a great spot to go and remember Jake.
Jenn and Travis are rocks. Seriously. They were really open and they encouraged us to ask questions if we wanted to about his last day and anything else that happened. Apparently Jake's autopsy revealed that his heart was so damaged from birth that excessive stress would have take him eventually. The doctors literally did everything they could. Jenn and Trav both spoke at the funeral and I was in awe of their strength. They are way sick of hearing that, but this is my blog and I can say what I want.
Lexi is hanging in there too. As the casket passed by her at the funeral, she asked, "Is that my baby in there?" (That kills me.) They say she's mourning the way a typical 4 year old would, keeping really busy and periodically getting really sad. She sang, "I am a Child of God" at the funeral with one of Jenn's friends, and she just couldn't be any cuter. We sure do love the Meyerson fam. It's amazing how much we still miss Jake, but the trip sure gave me a lot of closure.
No comments:
Post a Comment