Friday, April 13

Eggstravaganza

We're pleased to report we had a fabulous Easter. Doug's sister Kadi was in town with her fam. We did an Easter egg hunt with her in-laws up in Salt Lake on Saturday.

The nephews were hilare. Unfortunately Kadin was out for the count after a few minutes--when a guy needs a nap he needs a nap. Joel seemed most interested in getting the eggs and then immediately opening them to get the candy. He wasn't going to risk putting them in his basket and never seeing that precious candy again. Carter reacted best to someone saying "Hey Carter, there's an egg!" and then running for it aggressively. And Mason was adorable--something he's really good at. Not only does he have spectacular hair that stands straight up (something they call "the Shafer curse"... the fate of our children is certain), but he also makes this crazy screaming/groaning sound while his mouth is wide open. He looks a little angry when he does it, but he's really happy as can be. Priceless.

The greatest celebrity of the day was no bunny. He was this tiny dog named Rusty.
Joel especially couldn't get enough of him! He kept getting distracted from the egg hunt, much preferring to play with Rusty. And by "play" I mean let the dog lick his face. Again. And again. Whether Joel's mouth was open or not. He thought it was extremely funny. And so did we. Carter got in on the action a bit too, but I think he started to think, "Huh, perhaps this is gross" and kinda backed out. I'm bummed we didn't get a pic of the four boys together (especially since I took zero of Kadin), but trust me they were cute to the max.

On Easter Sunday Doug and I awoke to gifts from the Easter Bunny a/k/a I got up and put Easter candy that I'd hidden a few weeks before in some bowls on the kitchen table. (At first Doug didn't get up to check to see what the E.B. had left. When the E.B. got annoyed, he learned that checking to see what the E.B. leaves is not an option, no matter how tired you are.) We had Easter church, and then went over to Ben and Whitney's for Easter bbq. It was awesome. We even topped the night off with some Settlers of Catan/Katan, and Doug and I got our butts royally kicked (we bow before you, Morgan and Nate!).
Doug and I especially liked trying out a new tradition for our first Easter together. The week leading up to Easter, we read from the Bible the different things Christ was doing on those days. It was pretty cool to put the Easter celebration in perspective--I totally recommend it.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

yeah, we totally schooled you guys! HeHe! :) Don't worry, I totally sucked the first few times I played! Fun times though!

That Mason is so stinkin' cute!

PS I hope you don't mind that I put you on my friends links!

whitney said...

that bible thing is a good idea. we should try that. we don't really ever read any of the scriptures, so maybe we should just start there. :)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Ahhhh...the thrills of a good Easter Egg Hunt. Good times.