Friday, June 29

oh cell phones... we hardly knew ye

Here's something I don't get. I admit that I am 1,000% addicted to my cell phone, and I just don't know how I could live without it. However, I despise that this commitment to the cell phone that many people share has given the cellular telephone some sort of trump card when it comes to communication. Case in point: I have a coworker that will come over to your desk, start a work-related-seems-important conversation, and then out of the blue reach down into his pocket and start speaking into his cell phone. I don't even have the benefit of realizing the phone is ringing, he just picks it up. No explanation, no apology. Just an abrupt transition from communicating with a real person to communicating with the phone person. One time another coworker managed to even do this trick mid-sentence! His sentence that
started out for me ended for whoever was on the phone.

Now I know we all get important phone calls. Sometimes they're clients, sometimes they're family members who are bleeding on the side of the road, and so on. But why do so many people think it's socially acceptable to make everyone pause their life while they answer a cell phone call that is most likely a spouse calling to discuss what to have for dinner? I remember the good ol' days (Zach Morris days?) when people would at least say, "I'm sorry, I really need to take this" or at bare minimum make a face as if to say, "I'm terribly sorry, but this is important!!" But alas, nowadays people feel their phone vibrate and immediately they are sucked into a world where only they and their cell phone exist.

Why, why, why…

7 comments:

the meyersons said...

AMEN.

Think of those that now think answering a call mid driving and thinking swerving is ok..."I was on a call!" Zach Morris...he would NOT have done that.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

How about at the movies when teenagers take calls DURING the show and the light from the stupide cell phone lasers into your eyes and you want to take a tub of popcorn and dump it someones head...I love how they try and whisper their petty conversations.

that is all...

whitney said...

much to my chagrin, i don't own a cell phone (i'm probably the only one in the entire world who doesn't). however, because of my lack of said product, i can say confidently that i have never committed this travesty you have described that so many are guilty of, which makes it all the more annoying when people inflict this rude act upon me. amen sista.

Morgan said...

amen sista, a-men!!

janaya said...

ok... so random survey... what's more annoying:

1. the aforementioned answering of a cell phone mid conversation?

OR

2. someone looking straight at you, intently listening to everything you're saying, whilst skillfully typing "something" on their computer without even looking before pressing "enter"?

... i know which one burton would pick. ;)

Anonymous said...

cell phone...

AnnaYoung said...

To think, Doughty used to get mad at me becuase "I NEVER ANSWER MY CELL PHONE!!!!" (yes Doughty, you shouted that many a time)

OH the times that's been shouted at me!! I would like to say that I am NOT on everyone else's cellular communication leash.

I concur whole-heartedly. And people who wear blue tooth head sets are . . .well I can't say it becuase I"m sure there are children present. but the adjective is not pretty.