Last week I read "Lucky Man: A Memoir" by Michael J. Fox. You might know Michael from such films as "Back to the Future" and "Teen Wolfe," and such television programs as "Family Ties" and "Spin City." You might also know that he has Parkinson's Disease (or PD).My grandpa that recently passed away also had Parkinson's Disease, and I think I read Mr. Fox's memoirs obsessively because of the picture it paints of the disease. Michael was a young man when he was diagnosed (only 30), and it was eye-opening to see how a disease like that can alter your reality. Michael gives a lot of background on PD, and I was amazed at how little I really knew about the disease. I was also surprised that things I thought I did know aren't even true. Reading him talk about his diagnosis and the decade following made me wonder how my grandpa must have felt when he started to get less and less control of his neurological system (especially knowing his personality). It must have been awful.
And although celebrities are what I like to call "fake people," they really do have families, loving relationships, and horrible tragedies and struggles (although they have all those things and a ridiculous amount of money). Michael is really open in the book about how he practically became an alcoholic to avoid dealing with his PD, and it was interesting to see him go through the "grieving steps" to face his disease. He's now much more positive and active in educating people about the disease and seeking a cure, and I gained a lot of respect for him. It makes me want to be more active about things like this myself.
I'm grateful I read the book, although I wish that I had read it years ago when grandpa was still alive. I wish I could recommend it to any of you, but there are enough f-bombs in it that I'd rather not have that responsibility. But when you're obsessed with understanding your grandfather, sometimes not even obscenities can slow you down.
So there you go.
PS- Michael J. Fox is also Canadian. Did you know that?
PPS- Michael J. Fox is also married to an actress that once played his girlfriend on Family Ties.
3 comments:
I have recently learned a little bit about Parkinson's disease as well. It is really quite sad quickly it can come on and how little can be done about it. I am sorry about your Grandpa as well.
PS. Since I sometimes read your blog, I thought I would make it official and start making comments when I feel like it! :)
I've always loved MJF. I didn't ever really know my dad's dad, but I knew that he had PD. It definitely sounds like an excellent book. (I won't hold you responsible for exposing me to to a plethora of explicatives : )
I just saw this on your "shelf" on shelfari and thought "I am going to read it too so I can understand it better." Thanks for inspiring me to read and not watch more Housewives of Orange County!!! Oh, and I live in New Jersey. The F-bomb is just part of the English language here!
Post a Comment