Monday, January 21

snow day

When we would wake up to snow in Pennsylvania, we'd run downstairs to listen to KYW News Radio 1060. They would announce school closings by district numbers, and sometimes you'd wait a good 30 or 45 minutes for them to call our number ("Come on, 755!!!"). In later years you could also call this phone number that everyone else in the Tristate area was calling too to see if school was cancelled (you normally had to push redial about 115 times before you got through). This was all worth it, though, because nothing and I mean NOTHING beat hearing your district number called out for the school closings. My heart skipped a beat every time I heard it.

So this morning when we woke up, I peeked out the window and lo and behold there was a ton of snow (or at least enough to make me not want to clean off my car). And, in a very painful twist of irony, my heart skipped a beat. I even thought, "SCORE! A snow day!!"

But then I realized I still had to get my fat butt out of bed because I'm in Utah and no one cancels anything because of snow, especially my employer.

Crap.

But I tried to make the most of it by breaking in a new pair of jeans, so at least the day wasn't a total waste.

PS- Oh, and if you think my employer let us stay home for MLK, Jr. Day, you're wrong.

15 comments:

Katie M said...

Oh, not my employer either. racist pigs. JK.

and yes, mormons in mecca will go to church/work/school no matter WHAT the weather. insanity. thanks for the imagery of your childhood. miss those days.

Lindy said...

My employer was also open for business today. Sigh.

janaya said...

i think they put MLK day on the calendars just to taunt us in utah... 'cause it seems like the only person off today is the postman. pioneer day... please.

Jake Spurlock said...

My employer (full-time student) gave us the day off... I enjoyed the day at Park City skiing. It was lame leaving my house at 7:25 for an ortho appointment, and not showing up until 9:30.

Driving was lame. Skiing was good though. So I came out ahead.

I remember a time while I was on my mission in the grand state of Delaware that school was canceled for fog. Everyone in that state needs to toughen up a bit.

emily and logan said...

oh man. good ol' PA snow days. that was the life...

Kellie said...

I will have you know, that it snowed here in Georgia on Saturday and they cancelled the whole Atlanta Stake church for Sunday. The shut down businesses early, the grocery stores were bought out - it was mad chaos, people think the world is going to end here when it snows (which is hardly ever) But alas MLK day did happened but since my employer is in Utah I did not get the day off.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Remember when I saved our basement from flooding in PA? It had snowed feet and feet and then warmed up really fast and we were all at home enjoying the day when dad came up and said we had water in the basement! We all went down to help and dad said we had to use the hose to get it out so I sucked on the end of it until water came out! I need a trophy for that. And maybe chocolate cake too.

Gotta love winter!

the meyersons said...

At times, when 755 wasn't cancelled and I would contemplate telling the parental units that it in fact was cancelled.

Then reality would hit, that they aren't stupid.

Jackie said...

Or do you remember when it was only a one-hour delay instead of cancelled? News like that was a severe disappointment.

Ryan said...

You should ask your employer why they hate Martin Luther King Jr. I have found it an effective tool to get out of work that day. Calling someone racist gets their attention.

AnnaYoung said...

I had to work on Columbus day in Texas (I don't think I've been employed as of yet during MLK's big day) But if people hate the second discoverer of our continent enough to make people work, I'm pretty sure MLK doens't stand a chance either.

No Wait, I DID have to work in Texas on MLK's day. . . see, I knew he didn't have a chance (at least in Texas : )

Suzanne said...

What, Utah doesn't believe in racial equality??

You should move to California... and work for an organization that is based solely on the principles of cultural democracy... then you get to celebrate MLK Jr. AND Cesar Chavez Days.

But not Good Friday. So. MLK Jr. or Jesus. Take your pick, I guess...

whitney said...

time to find a new state to live in... and a new employer. :)

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Ben worked and made a killing, because all the kids were out of school. He said he wasn't racist, he would work on all types of teeth. Classic Ben!

Oregon gets out of school for even the thought of snow. No snow plows, no school. Pathetic, but true. I agree because I DO NOT want to be on the road with people who don't know how to drive in snow. SCARY!!

The Richardsons said...

Yeah, I went to High School in Salt Lake, and one winter it snowed 26 inches in one night, and THEY DIDN'T CANCEL SCHOOL!!! It was a waste, half my teachers didnt even show up. I did get to watch the Lion King in spanish though...good times