We'd passed a sign for this place on the highway several times, and last week we decided we just had to stop and check it out. A shrine to a Confederate general? That's something!
It turns out it's an old house that has nothing to do with Stonewall Jackson except that he stayed there for a day or so during a battle nearby. Though they did have some nice plaques telling about him and the war.
There wasn't another soul at the shrine, but in the 10 minutes we were there we watched a gigantore thunderstorm roll in, heard gunshots twice, and watched two trains drive by right next to the house. It just felt so southern.
Man, I love living here.
8 comments:
Omigosh. So, I have wondered what kind of "shrine" it was every time I passed it. Seriously, can't they just put "monument"? Does it really have to be a shrine? Thank you for solving the mystery...sort of.
The South will rise again!
I have a shrine to Stonewall Jackson in my house, but you and Doug have never come to visit us... I'm not gonna lie... I'm hurt...
hahahahahahahaha....that's awesome. one of my biggest cultural experiences was when jared and i took a road trip to visit his bro's fam out in north carolina. we stopped in west virginia to eat...those were some interesting fold. :) nicest people in the world though!
i meant to say folk. :P
Love the pic of the storm clouds...brings back memories!
You should really have Sarah tell you about the guy who asked her if she "wanted to come in and see [his] bobcat" on her drive back from Memphis. Seriously.
I should make a point to visit the South extensively at least once in my lifetime, it sounds like.
Does it bother anyone else that they use the word, "shrine"? Why not memorial? monument? historical marker? "Shrine"--really.
Post a Comment