Thursday, July 8

allergy testing

Get my inhaler and my pocket protector... I've definitely got allergies.

I did some allergy testing today and it turns out I'm allergic to pretty much the whole world. From corn and tomatoes to oak trees and Bermuda grass, I showed a reaction to almost everything they tested. They gave me probably 50 pricks, looking for allergies to foods (beef, onions, cinnamon, almonds, and on and on) and inhalants (trees, grass, weeds, molds, pets, yada, yada, yada). Fortunately chocolate, oats, and a few other foods they tested for are a-okay, but I have some trickiness with all the others. (Trust me, I shed some tears for the tomatoes.)

Really, my levels could be worse. But my highest levels by far were for molds and dust mites. And considering the old apartment we live in, we're feeling confident we're narrowing down the culprits for my last 7 months of torture.

I only met with the nurse today, so I'll have to wait a little while to meet with the doctor to create a game plan. Do we need to move? Are allergy shots the only way to get relief? Will I ever EVER stop coughing? That's what we're wondering.

But in the mean time, we're going to look into moving me into a bubble. I'll be sure to bring my pocket protector in with me.

12 comments:

Alicia said...

Aww hun! I'm soo sorry! I had allergy shots as a kid, and my mom bribed me with a lot of candy. Maybe Doug would be willing to do the same. :)

Dallings said...

No moving is not the answer. Sorry.

The Miles Family said...

Oh my gosh Jackie...
I hope you're not allergic to me!! :)
Josh told me the news yesterday. I can't believe it. You probably weren't expecting those results. I'm so sorry but at least you got answers.
Are there even any mold-free apartments at Chelsea? I don't want you to leave..anywhere else is too far.

KaSs MiLeS said...

my brother went through the same thing, he is allergic to wheat, sugar, cheese, everything. i promise you will adjust and life becomes easier. he's been doing it for 10 years. i'm sorry you're going through that, not fun.

Michal Thompson said...

so sorry, connor has bad allergies, but his is mostly just trees. I hope it gets better.

Katie said...

Oh no! Awesome luck Jackie. Please don't have to move away or I may start crying myself to sleep.

Lindy said...

Oh no! What about chocolate covered cinnabears? Are those ok? I promise if you have to live in a bubble I'll come over and play Trivial Pursuit with you.

Suzanne said...

Oh, tomatoes, we hardly knew ye!

Weird science, Jack. But I, for one, am in favor of you doing whatever you need to in order to feel better! Bubble or no bubble!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Would nose plugs help? Cuz...I would like to see that!

Karisa and John said...

Good grief Jackie! I'm so sorry to hear your news. I can't believe you've been putting up with all those allergies for 28 years. You're like the poster child for patience and longsuffering!

Man. Well, I'll have to mail you some chocolate, since that one is still A-okay. Did you guys make any more decisions about whether to move to a new apartment or not?

Andrew Hutchison said...

Ummmb, excuze be, can I borrow your inhaler?

Dustin said...

have you tried claritin? That stuff works wonders for me when I take it for a week or two. Then again I have no idea what I am allergic to.