Wednesday, May 16

scary stats

• Over 21,000 adults in Utah County are functionally illiterate.
• Project Read (program through Provo City Library) reaches about 2% of those who need help.
• 15% of the workforce is functionally illiterate.
• 40% of Americans cannot determine correct change.
• 25% of Americans cannot address an envelope well enough to reach its destination.
• 42% of high school seniors will graduate with barely adequate reading and writing skills.
• 10% of the drivers on the highway cannot read road signs.

Illiteracy sucks. You can learn more through Project Read, a program run by our local library. Or look for something in your area.

4 comments:

whitney said...

that is scary...especially the one about people not being able to read road signs. aahhh!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

whoa?

the Allers said...

Example #1: this is an email I received this morning from a vendor (who is a grown up with 4 kids).

"one million_ min of 6 to 10 and more it I have other dirictions i want to explore. I'm going to give you as many as I can.. Fellowing the gift collection look and feel or are we going of the ranch on this one. How dose that sound."

YES!

AnnaYoung said...

I'd just like to point out I"m one of those 10% on the road without my glasses. . . but I only do that when I absolutely KNOW where I'm going. . . and now I will never do it ever again.

And Sarah. . . are you serious with that email?