Wednesday, May 16

zoobie, zoobie, zoo...

For you non-Utahns, it's a tradition in these parts for schools to paint representative letters on mountains near them. BYU has painted a gigantic white Y on the mountain above BYU, thus marking our territory. The mountain the Y is on is pretty cool, so they've made a hiking trail leading right up to the Y. It's quite steep, but it's a really short hike. And it has a killer view.

Since I've become really good at sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, and less good at moving my body, we decided we'd do a quick hike up to the Y last week. We can see it from our kitchen window, so why not?

Another thing about hiking up the Y, is that it's a true blue BYU experience. 100% zoobie. I'm surprised it's not one of the graduation requirements. And the silly thing is that Doug has never taken the plunge and gone up! I admit I'd never done it until I was a junior and one night Scott, Lindy, and I said, "Well, I guess we should hike the Y tonight." And we did. And we climbed all over the actual Y even though we learned later you're not supposed to.

Anyway, we planned it so we'd get up there just in time for sunset, and we scored. It was beautiful! And we even got to witness a couple have possibly their first hand-holding experience (you can see them sitting below us in the pictures). They were sufficiently awkward and we enjoyed the show. Oh, and we saw a snake, which Doug loved. I, however, could have thrown up on the spot.

But it was really really fun and got me motivated to move my body more often. It also gave Doug a more complete and enriched BYU experience. He is now one step closer to graduation. :)

Enlarge the second picture and you can see campus, parts of Provo, Utah Lake, and our house. It's on the left... somewhere...

6 comments:

whitney said...

i found both our houses! :) ...very cool. that is seriously a crazy, steep hike. it's a good thing, it's so short. :)

Morgan said...

That is so fun. I need to get out there and do that some day...I have never done it either. Pathetic, I know. That really is an amazing view. We do live in a beautiful place!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh the good ole days! You know...just looking at those pictures makes me want to visit Utah! I remember being a kid and seeing the "Y" for the first time and thinking how cool it was. I agree...everyone needs to have the hiking to the Y experience...I will never forget it!

the Allers said...

sigh.....we all know how the Aller's feel about Zoobie activities. But I guess we can excuse it this once. We do heart you guys after all.

AnnaYoung said...

What's with all this "But it's a short hike" buisness!? Short my hind quarters!

When I hiked the Y I went with the Pizza Delivery guy from Tomasitos (he saw me in the Parkway Crossing office 3 years later and recognized me. . . how did I not weight 300 pounds if I ate THAT much pizza?) and these Uber Hikers. As soon as I would catch up to them they would say "Ok! lets go!"

It was bad news bears. I recall they did provide lunch though, so that was nice.

But really. Not short people.

(sorry for the long comment :)

erin said...

Hey guess what, I found your blog, right after I discovered Sarah's blog... Ha ha ha. Yay!