Tuesday, October 2

sometimes you break a window and find a mouse in your apartment in the same day

Yesterday morning as Doug was getting into the shower he decided to crack open (no pun intended) the window because there's no fan in our bathroom. Apparently he doesn't know his own strength nor the power of the palms of his hands because he busted right through. The best part was hearing the glass break, hearing him yell out of frustration, and then walking in and seeing him standing there naked with the broken window.

Awesome.

And then last night I came home from tutoring, flipped on the light of the kitchen, and saw a mouse speed around the corner running for its life. Of course I screamed first, and then I started laughing. I mean, a mouse in our apartment?? That's funny! Doug was at work for another hour, so I did the logical thing and called my dad. Surely he could do something from Rhode Island. When he didn't answer, I called my landlord. I guess I just felt like I had to tell someone.

Meanwhile said mouse ran to hide behind our TV, but joke was on him--that's not much of a hiding place. But he quickly realized that and booked it accross the room (causing me to scream again) and hid in our bookcase. Next to our scriptures and my Honda manual. I didn't know what to do, so I just got on the computer right next to the bookcase and stared him down. I chatted with Jenn on Skype and we discussed my wimpiness and the funniness among other things. I kept my eye on him, and he wasn't moving. My dad finally called back, but--shockingly--his sympathy was minimal. He told me I was the size of a water tower to that mouse, so unless that mouse is a complete moron, he's not going to attack me. His logic was wasted on me, though, because I could HEAR the mouse in the bookshelf, most likely eating this way through 1 Nephi.

When Doug FINALLY got home I immediately told him the story, and he got right to work gathering tools: garden gloves, a paper sack, the broom, and a flashlight. I stood on the couch while he started shifting the books around on the shelf. The mouse came streaking out (they are surprisingly fast!) and I let out an uncontrollable scream and it ran right back where it came from. Doug was NOT pleased with my reaction. And then... it disappeared. We could not find it! Apparently he snuck past us and ran around the room or something when we least expected it. We spent the next 45 minutes looking for it in all the likely and even the unlikely places (note: he was not in the shower or the silverware drawer). That mouse is good.

We haven't seen him since, and I admit I'm a bit obsessed with where he might be. Despite the screaming, I'm slowly growing attached to him. I woke up at 2 a.m. and wondered if he was in our room at that very moment. Doug bought some traps today but I don't want to hurt him. I'm living this fantasy where I think he's the only mouse in our apartment and he's kinda cute and he's like a pet that lives in our bookshelf. Our neighbor downstairs told us they think they hear a mouse scurrying behind their kitchen cupboards. I feel a bit hurt that he would ditch us, so I'm assuming it's another mouse.

So breaking a window AND finding a mouse in our aparment in the same day?

DOUBLE AWESOME.

15 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for literally making me laugh out loud... you always do!

Anonymous said...

You should be a writer. And maybe a member of PETA. Love it.

Alicia said...

I'm not sure where I stand, after reading this entry. I was enthralled, entertained, and even on the edge of my seat for a bit about the mouse.

But I'm not sure I can continue to read a blog with an entry that has "naked" and "streaking out" in it. Shouldn't I have some kind of software filtering you out? :)

Stuart Little lives at your house. My jealousy o'er floweth.

Alicia

stace said...

have you ever wondered if he crawls on your bed while you sleep. that would be awesome too.

CYD said...

That's hilarious. Although I'm not sure I'd be so loving towards a mouse. Ask mom-the only good pest is a dead one! Let me know if you want me to come take care of "the little problem." Sounds like a mob hit...

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

It's like reading a novel of your life...you crack me up! I was seriously so into the story that I actually put my feet up on my computer chair just in case a mouse was by the bookcase here! Hope you catch it because they are nasty little fellas...remember when one died in the wall between Cyd's room and Mom's room? Good times!

Doug...break the window with your clothes ON next time. This is a family blog.

Suzanne said...

It sounds like your mouse is a lot more loveable than the GIGANTOR cockroach that crawled out of our air conditioning vent last week.

AnnaYoung said...

If I understand the situation correctly, doug was opening the window naked. Window. Naked. Are you following me?

Second, their speed causes screams. You can't help it. The same thing happens with geckos-they're fast little buggars! And they dart when you're least expecting it! Screams are totally acceptable when dealing with mice.

Tears, however, are reserved for when the husband kills a cricket and tries to put it in the toilet while wife is on on said toilet. Yes, it happened. It was awful.

The Richardsons said...

Holy Cow Jackie you are hilarious! I laughed so hard I almost snotted yogurt out my nose when I read your post! Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

I was blessed enough to witness part of this blog...LUCKILY it wasn't the earlier part...I'd be in the fetal. Watching both Jackie and Doug jump six feet off the floor when that mouse flew across the room-PRICELESS. The noise Jackie made...still ringing in my ears.

Live on little mouse...live on.

Kadi said...

Seriously, hilarious, but scary. I too recently dealt with a rodent issue and it is not fun, though I didn't get as attached...a mouse would definitely be cuter than what we had. Doug breaking the window...could see it coming. The man is sheer muscle and power...being naked...hello, he loves being in the buff. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but too late. I remember years ago he would come home from football practice take a shower and then yell down to the rest of us that he was naked. I don't know what he expected us to do with this information, but it always made me laugh...a lot. Strangely, I actually miss that. I do hope you find the mouse. I'm suprised Doug handled it like a man, he is such a pansy when it comes to things like that...spiders, you know. Joel makes me leave the room when he has to get spiders or rodents, he says I make it worse and scare him. Is this long enough, brother, I should just call you...

Meg said...

I think that maybe...and just possibly...you should wrap Doug in bubble wrap. That way, he couldn't cut open his eyebrows or break any windows. And, if you need entertainment, you can just hit him (which won't hurt) and listen to the sound of the bubbles popping. You should consider it.

By the way, good luck with the mouse :)

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

I guess 'ventilation' isn't a problem in the bathroom anymore. Thanks for the mental picture I have stuck in my head now . . . not pretty.

I feel your pain with the unwelcome guests. I just love critters running around the house; snakes, skunks, bats, mice, salamanders, birds, etc. To top it off Malcolm paralyzed the pet hamster. I'm starting to agree with Cyd, the only good pet is a dead pet. I cried for two hours over Emma. Pregnancy is challenging.

Wonderland Girl said...

Holy crap I just laughed til my sides hurt. But I do have to break some news to you: You know mice POOP, right? I mean, he can be a really cute nice pet, but he isn't eating 1 Nephi, he's pooing in it. Know what I mean?

jen and michael said...

Why did you have to put that image in my head? Why oh why? How am I supposed to HT now? Every time I come over to your house or see doug on campus or in the hall at church, I will only be able to think of a mouse being somwhere in your house...