Did I do it?
Nah. She'd resisted bottles once she quit nursing and sippy cups made her m-a-d, and I didn't feel like fighting her again to drink. So I tried... sorta. Kinda. But overall, I didn't make it a priority.
This last Tuesday she had her 15-month appointment. The bottle thing came up, and I had to sheepishly tell him she was still on the botella. He shook his head and sarcastically reprimanded me. He wrote really big on her sheet "GET OFF BOTTLES."
And later when we discussed some ear problems she's been having (non-stop fluid and ear infections for the past few months? yikes), he did bring up that the bottles could be contributing to that.
Ay... I totally felt like that Brian Regan sketch, talking about how going to the doctor can make you feel like a kid in trouble.
Doctor: You didn't do what I told you.
Brian: No, no I didn't.
Doctor: What should you have done?
Brian: I should have listened when you were talking.
Doctor: What are you going to do from now on?
Brian: Pay attention when you say things.
And the best part? I stopped giving her bottles the next day and she fussed about it for half a second and then she just took the cup. Apparently she wasn't the one with the issues.
8 comments:
YAY! We are still on the bottle here. Ryan was off them at 11.5 months. My mom is the one who is trying to convince me she's ok to be on the bottle longer. She will take a sippy cup, but likes the bottle to go to sleep.... hmmm... maybe I should ween...
That's awesome. Rush never once took a bottle and unfortunately I never tried hard enough. So with this next baby, priority numero uno is to get her to accept one bottle a day. Just so I can even have the OPTION of spending more than one hour sans baby at some point over the next several months. Anyways, that's my story. Isn't it amazing that our children survive all we put them through as new parents?? I feel sheepish whenever the doctor asks about Rushton's diet. It consists of crackers, cereal, chips, dip, and milk. I do try, but Rush has a mind of his own. Oh well!
Isn't it funny how sometimes we as the parents have the hard time. The bottle wasn't too hard to take from Koree, it was her binkie. Our dentist told us she needed to get rid of it, and I had built it up to be so horrible, but once we decided there was no turning back it wasn't as bad as we thought.
Ha! I love this. And I love that Brian Reagan bit.
I'm almost positive I had a bigger issue getting James off his bottle than he did. I'm hoping the same goes for his binky!
Oh, and way to go Addy for being so awesome! :)
It was fairly easy to get Kara off the bottle (she did it about a week before her birthday). But the binkie? Oi...Jon never took one so it was never an issue. But Kara's been getting MORE attached to it lately, so I probably ought to start getting that gone.
It took forever to get Kathryn off bottles... I think she was 17-ish months before we finally got her off of them... and then I got rid of every bottle in the house because I was so sick of them. None of the other kids have ever had bottles. We just start sippy cups around 9-10 months, and that's the only thing they get besides "mommy milk" straight from the source. And that's what works for us. :)
You're a rock star mom. And I love that Addy was like, "Bottles? What-EVER!"
I can't even talk about the Levi-bottle situation. It doesn't help that my ped is like, "Do whatever you want!" in the bottle department. Totally enabling...
Don't you love getting in trouble at the doctor? It's the greatest. Maybe he made a note in your chart about you being "difficult."
Post a Comment