Thursday, August 20

the battle of the thermostat

Doug and I are waging a war over the air conditioning in our apartment.

We’re spoiled rotten and pay a flat fee each month for our utilities. That means that running the AC isn’t a financial concern for us, nor is it an environmental concern (although wasting energy really causes my inner hippie serious guilt). Such freedom leaves us to lead a quiet yet significant battle day after day.

The Doug side:
The house should be freezing cold at all times. The thermostat should be set at negative a million from May to September.

The Jackie side:
We both like summer in part because it's warm. No need for layers or parkas. Ideal! So I like to enjoy such warmth while I can. I don't want to wear shorts outside and then walk around with a blanket on inside. I’m all for setting it to a cool temperature during the night (who can sleep when they’re hot and sweaty?), but it just makes sense to shoot for a pleasant temperature during the day.

We set it to a cooler temp during the night, but before I leave for work in the morning I turn it back up again. And when Doug gets home from school, he sets it back down. And when I get home from work, I casually shift it up a nudge. Then sometimes later in the evening he’ll change it without a word, so like a responsible adult I casually change it again. It's another instance of our lives mimicking an Office episode, and it's the work of only the most mature and responsible people.

I’m guessing we’ll break the thermostat by the end of the week.

14 comments:

Ryan said...

I am with doug on this one. And Doug I think the following link would help. http://metrosupplyco.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=280-1040&Category_Code=Specialty&Product_Count=1
Good luck!

Megan said...

This is Megan Hambly, and I do not approve of Ryan's comment. Thank you.

Jackie, you should get 2 votes--you speak for the Mooch, right?

Michal Thompson said...

ahhh, yes. We have had this. We have finally settled at 78, we are both happy- well most of the time.

jen and michael said...

i am with doug with the negative a million! actually, i am just jealous that you pay a flat rate, but thats what I would do if i did not have to set it at a wallet conscious 78.

side note, i think i see a post coming from the hambly blog about this soon

Emy W. said...

A pregnant woman who turns the temperature UP? Unheard of!

I've gotta go Team Doug on this one, but my favorite job was working at a ski resort where I'd walk around the resort without a coat on when it was 10 degrees out. There's something very wrong with me.

Liz Smith said...

pshh....flat rate air conditioning?! and you live on the east coast?! i do not feel sorry for you guys. :P we are 75'ers, though if i wasnt so cheap, jared would have it much lower. sometimes if we want to splurge we bring it down to 73 at night. haha. and dont even get me started on winter when i keep the heat down to 66. :P

that having been said, i believe the mooch should get the final say. :D

The Miles Family said...

I'm usually having a battle with myself! I flip flop..i'm hot then cold. {Just depends on who's climbing on me at the moment.} Josh usually does want us to sleep like little icesicles though. I know what ya mean!

Lindy said...

I also am shocked that you are turning the air conditioning up whilst you're in the family way! I would purposely sit under a ceiling fan with soaking wet hair to find some modicum of relief. We keep our air at 75 and it's expensive, but our thermostat is super hard to work so we can't figure out how to turn it up a degree or two in an effort to save money.

I say enjoy having the freedom to have a freezing house for the next few months because then you'll have kids and you'll never be able to set the thermostat to your own liking again. Ever. Maybe Dougie's on to something.

(But if I were trying to find someone to build sofa henge with, I would choose you, Jack.)

joshandemily said...

Jackie, just pull the pregnancy card-it works every time! You deserve whatever you want:).

Doug said...

Personally I think that I was portrayed as a vicious ice monster threatening to destroy the remaining civilization with cold.

I'm just saying I would like a refuge from the humid hell outside.

Jackie said...

Doug... it is what it is.

PS- Can I start calling you ice monster?

PPS- Is this the type of public stuff you were talking about in your post last week?

PPPS- I love your guts.

Suzanne said...

It goes like this: you're pregnant, you get control thermostat. Period.

Also, in what bizarro world do you live in which you pay a flat fee for utilities?? I can't even make sense of those words put together like that!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

IIIIIIIIIIII'm gonna have to side with Doug! I know I know, we are family, but I like to come in and cool off! I kinda think the Mooch likes it cooler as well...just sayin!

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Good luck with that! We're still in that silent battle.