Wednesday, January 6

the sasquatch

At our ultrasound yesterday, the Mooch earned another nickname: the Sasquatch. I’m not quite 37 weeks, and they’re calculating her weight to be 7 pounds 10 ounces already. One calculation even said 7 pounds 15 ounces.

EESH.

One of the specialists we’ve been seeing at our doctor’s office has declared her a Big Bertha, and casually referred to her as the Sasquatch during the remainder of our visit. He admitted their calculations could be way off, but they’re often within 1.5 pounds. So don’t worry… she’s either a delicate 6 pounds right now, or over 9 pounds. Does anyone else feel like they need a nap?

They’re going to do another ultrasound in 2 weeks, and if they catch her in there with a beer belly or sausage-like fingers, they’re going to have to take action.

I was 9 pounds 9 ounces when I was born, so we figure this is payback for doing that to my mom.

Karma is a beast...

16 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh Jackie...your posts always make me laugh (even though this subject is very serious and potentally horrifying when you are about to give birth!). At my 36 week u/s James was already over 6 1/2 lbs and I was mortified. I immediately stopped eating ice cream in the hopes that it would help alleviate the pound packing. It didn't help. Eat all the ice cream you want because chubby babies are sooo much cuter than skinny babies!

KaSs MiLeS said...

karma hit me too. i was 10 pounds for my mom and story was 8lbs 6oz. they had to csection her, because she was too big.
i agree with the above comment, bring on the ice cream.
hope you're feeling well.

janaya said...

well... you ARE having a shafer baby... :)

Suzanne said...

Take heart! They said Little Bean was going to be 7 1/2 pounds, but he was only 5 lbs 12 oz.

Also, 37 weeks!! Holy mole! You're a ticking time bomb! I give you permission to have as many panic attacks as you feel necessary.

Liz Smith said...

i was 8 lb 15oz and Jared was almost 10 lbs. since i believe in karma, i don't even want to think about how mine are going to turn out. good luck to you! :D

the Allers said...

I will use this until the day I die. I will probably refer to it at any and all major events in Preston's life - including his wedding. 10 lbs 3oz, 23 inches long.

If its any consolation, whenever they "guesstimate" about a baby's weight/size in the womb, its never 100% accurate - at most they can guess within a 1-2 lb range (which is a HUGE RANGE!!!). Here's hopin' they are overestimating......

Katie said...

Oh Sasquatch. That could resolve the epidural question. Just say yes!! PS, I have recently been having a thing for Taylor Swift too. She seems pretty funny too, I've been watching her on SNL. Does that sound creepy?

Megan said...

I'm sending small baby thoughts your way. If it makes you feel any better, I had an ultrasound three days before Reed was born and they measured him at 8 lbs 15 oz. When he was born, he weighed in at 7 lbs 9 oz. So either he went on a diet...or ultrasounds aren't exactly "accurate"

The Fox Family said...

hahah! You are the best blogger! I love reading your posts! Good luck with your big baby there! Just remember the more rolls when they are babies the cuter! ;)

the meyersons said...

I say shoot real high, then you won't be disappointed. I say she's a good 12 pounds.

P.S. Now chubby babies are cute and all...but let's not got knocking the skinny ones.

Emy W. said...

They told me Cora would be 8 lbs easy, but she ended up being 5 lbs 15 oz. I hope you get an easy baby, regardless of size!

Wonderland Girl said...

oh mannnn I feel for ya, hon. And here's hoping for the 6 pounder. Sometimes doctors have no idea what they're talking about . ... ?

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Jessy eating cereal + reading this post = cereal all over keyboard!

I hope she is super chubby...I love a good chubby baby!

Furniss Family said...

You are funny!! Hope you are feeling okay and I can't believe your little baby is almost here :) Hopefully "the sasquatch" won't get too much bigger, lol!! You look great and good luck getting the final preparations done :)

Lindy said...

My mother in law swears that the bigger babies were easier to deliver. Maybe because they were mature adults or something so you could explain to them how the whole thing works? Either way I'm sure it will be a breeze so I wouldn't worry about it.

CYD said...

it will be fun to find out! fun for me anyway! I've only had big babies and i'm sure it hurts either way. you just tear more if they're big. don't worry about it-you'll have drugs, tearing didn't hurt me at all (non-drugs and all) and after seeing all these tiny babies, bigger ones are alot less scary and fragile. i was afraid i'd break lucy!!