Tuesday, July 24

settling in and starting over

We're starting to settle in to our new life here in Oregon. I feel like it's the first time life has felt normal since... mid-March? Beginning of March? Seriously. Even before Grace was born our world started going at warp speed. We've entertained visitors, lived with boxes, celebrated our new baby, celebrated our life in Virginia, worked hard, played hard, said a thousand good-byes, and changed our scene again... and again... and again.

Lest I sound like an ungrateful whiner, I have to say it's been exhausting. Full of high moments and gigantic blessings, but tiring still. I wouldn't say we've been our best selves. We've been sleep-deprived, sad, frustrated, impatient, and insecure (post-baby body in a swimsuit? not ideal). I look at pictures from the past few weeks and I see I'm wearing the same hide-my-body clothes and doing the same no-brainer hair styles. Not a huge deal, but more a symptom of a bigger problem.

As we drove cross-country, Doug and I laid it all out on the table and realized we just have to do better. We have to be better to each other and more engaged in our lives. And, probably like all of us, recent events have reminded us that life is precious and very short. Little kids don't stay little kids for long, and we want to make the most of every moment we have together.

Now that we're here we're anxious to have a fresh start. We miss our lives in Virginia dearly, but school was always meant to be temporary so I suppose we have to move on. Doug now has a great job, we live in a beautiful place, and we have family close by. Our girls are happy and healthy, and we have wonderfully supportive families. Our house doesn't have moldy bathrooms and I'm surrounded by hippies that love recycling and farmer's markets more than I do. What's not to love?

So have patience with us and don't judge us too harshly when we continue to be a hot mess for a few more weeks. Or months. We're aware we're a teensy bit crazy, and we're working on it.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

OH Jackie, I feel you. I still feel like our life is going at warp speed, and I sooo wish it would slow down. I can't wait for Wade to get home so we can get in a normal routine, and for this baby to get here so we can just start LIFE. And FYI, you guys aren't that crazy. ;)

melissa said...

Dude, moving is hard. Having a baby is hard. Starting over is hard. Give yourself a few months and you'll be in a better place. And don't be too hard on yourself! You always look gorgeous, and I'd kill for your legs any day. I mean that with every fiber of my being, from the very bottom of my heart. And your kids are so stinkin' cute that not much else matters. :) You can DO this!!

Brittany said...

You guys are awesome. Change is just hard. Period. By the looks of it, you are doing great. Good luck with it all!

Katie said...

You guys are the best kind of crazy. Shafers are crazy awesome. Maybe someday we can be like you. We miss you like crazy, and are a little jealous you are starting to get settled. We are still living the crazy nomadic life for a couple more weeks!