Tuesday, December 31

san fernando 10 years later

A decade ago I served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in San Fernando, California.

San Fernando is the valley just north of LA, so we took a day after our Disney trip to visit ye ol' mission. I wanted to reminisce and show Doug and the girls what it was like.
The view of the valley from Mulholland Drive

A quick stop at the Los Angeles Temple (we went there 3 or 4 times on my mission)


I served mostly among the poor Spanish-speakers, so all of my favorite places are most decidedly ghetto and not what I'd consider safe for my small kids. So I had to get strategic with where we visited.
So we ate at places like Universal City Walk and In-n-Out (so authentic!), and drove around the questionable areas during the day. (Although we did do a drive by of one of my sleaziest apartments at night, and Doug still can't believe they let us live there. Me neither, pal.)

Dinner in Universal City Walk


I loved stopping by the neighborhoods I used to know so well. We hit up a Vallarta, saw La Estaca on Saticoy, and drove around and around the streets I used to tract on whilst wearing skirts and dorky shoes.


It was quite the emotional trip. Getting hit with so many memories--both good and bad--was something else. Missions are really challenging, but for me it was still one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm grateful I could share it with my family. And I'm grateful I got some good pan dulce in the process.

No comments: