Wednesday, June 10

my uncle is a wise man

My mom's brother Lee and his wife Linda were recently called to serve a mission for our church in the Canary Islands (I know... pure torture, right?).

They're in Madrid at the MTC waiting for their paperwork to go through so they can head to the islands, and this was part of the hilarious email he sent to my mom this week:
We really love it here, but I think I have found the reason Spain lost all of its New World colonies. Pillow cases! Believe it or not, pillow cases here are open at both ends. They are just sort of a tube. So, you get the case opened, the pillow tucked under your chin and then pull and stuff the pillow inside. Then, when it’s mostly in, you give a nice jerk and “whoosh” it shoots to the floor. You just cannot effectively administer colonies when you have to spend so much time making the bed in the morning.

I think he's on to something. Elder and Sister Parker are going to be fabulous missionaries, proper pillow cases or not.

Hermana Dunlop and Lee--he drove down from San Luis Obispo to see me my last night in the mission. Love this man.

8 comments:

Alicia said...

To be honest, my first reaction to the picture you posted was "Holy crap! Aunt Linda looks JUST LIKE JACKIE."

Then I was relieved to see the real you step forward in the caption.

Hey, can ya blame me? You have a whole boat-load of sisters that look exactly like you...

Katie M said...

Hahaha! You learn something new everyday. Today's something was awesome, thanks.

Liz Smith said...

lol...that's hilarious!

Lindy said...

It's nice to finally get to the bottom of what's going on over there. Also, I had the exact same thought about Aunt Linda! I was astounded at the resemblance. I guess I am a fool.

The Standrings said...

i thought that the canary islands was joined with another mission? guess not!

Jackie said...

April, he's not in the Madrid mission. He's just hanging out at the MTC while Visas, etc. go through.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Gotta love Uncle Lee! He is amazing, but remember when he mailed me a live tarantula? Not really lovin him then. Not so much!

Mom said...

Hmmm - wonder what he could find in the Canary Islands to send you.....