Monday, April 20

camping with pocahontas

The camping trip was a success. We stayed in Pocahontas State Park, there was a great turn-out, and I earned my husband's respect when I built a fire using one match. We loved seeing a plethora of stars (I really forget that's possible sometimes), helping cook breakfast for 200 people, and enjoying a seriously beautiful area.

The only hitch would be the 7 hours of torture in the middle where we tried to sleep. No pads + no air mattress + insufficient blankets + chilly temperatures = one loooong night. But other than that, we had a great time!


PS- Thanks for all the vertigo sympathy. Several of you even offered some great cures, and I'm excited to look into them. I must admit, however, that I may have found my own remedy: roasted marshmallows. All I know is that I felt dizzy on Friday, I caved under the weight of my marshmallow weakness and ate who KNOWS how many Friday night, and I woke up Saturday feeling dizzy-free. It's a theory I'm willing to test again.

11 comments:

the meyersons said...

Could it be the freezing all night that cured your vertigo? Possibly some voodoo from Pocahontas herself.

I'm glad you had fun but I send my sympathies to your sleepless night. You often think during a night like that, "This is the big one. I'm just going to give up and let nature take me."

Uhhh...me either.

Alyson said...

I empathize with you. We had no pads and were FREEZING as well. Well, at least I was. Nate wouldn't share his extra pair of socks! And, even though we love Lucille 2, we hope your vertigo stays away!

Megan said...

I'm glad to hear the vertigo is clearing up. And by the way, I am such a fan of your blog. You are amazingly entertaining.

Lindy said...

You didn't bring two pairs of gloves? I mean, it's the Rockies. Oh wait--no it isn't. Now I know why you didn't. I'm super-impressed with anyone who can pee outside/at a gas station bathroom, so you'll always inspire awe in me.

the Allers said...

Jack - no overnight-ing is worse than that of Moad in 2001. That was horrifying to infinity and beyond.

Also....roasted mallows! Information that would have been useful yesterday. Screw Benadryl...

Jackie said...

Diggity,

I totally thought of Moab that night! And although spooning with you and Lind was amazing, I have to admit I was able to spoon with greater confidence with Doug. Go figure. (Although I would have KILLED to have a third person spooning behind me.)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Camping? There is still snow on the ground! Oh wait...I live in Denver - never mind!

I still remember opening the pantry in Atlanta and seeing you sitting there with a bag of marshmallows! The face you made is stuck in my mind FOREVER! Good times!

KaSs MiLeS said...

i want to go camping pretty bad, but not with a 5 month old. that would be so not fun.
way to go on the fire! i don't know if i could do that!

Stacey said...

I was a better fire starter than Ben at one point too. His Assistant Scoutmaster days have given him a bit of an advantage. We are Jim's girls, what can we say.

I too am very impressed how many marshmellows you put away at Detriot Lake. I don't share the love at all, so eating a bag of them is nausiating. You on the other hand were as happy as a pig in mud.

Stacey said...

Note to whomever has Jackie and Doug for Christmas this year . . . thermarest or air mattress would be a good idea.

I remember FREEZING on our first camping trip using Ben's paper thin scout sleeping bags. We came home and immediately purchased subzero rated sleeping bags. I will not freeze again!!!!

Chelsey said...

Oh wow, I think I would have slept in my car if I didn't have my air mattress. You guys are tough.