Friday, August 15

byrd theatre

Last Saturday Doug and I went with some friends to a Richmond institution--the Byrd Theatre. It was a movie theater built in 1928 that is unlike any other. It has chandeliers, a balcony, and murals galore. There are two enclaves on either side of the front stage--one has a baby grand piano and the other a harp. Before Saturday night shows (such as ours), an organist raises up through the stage and plays a pre-show show. It's pretty freaking sweet.

Apparently they haven't really ever remodeled it, so it looks pretty much the same as it did when it was first built. It only plays second run movies (like unto a dollar theater) and admission is just $1.99. So despite the popcorn-covered floors and torn seats, we decided there's no more charming place to enjoy an organist and "Iron Man" all in one sitting.

Well done, Richmond.

8 comments:

KaSs said...

You have friends already!!! Nice to know how easily we've all been replaced....
ps, my dad was built in 1929! so close!

Ryan said...

Looks just like the dollar theater in Provo. Big deal. (read, I am super jealous, the only thing I get to see that was built that long ago is our apartment. coincidentally that hasn't been remodeled since either)

Lindy said...

I invented the byrd theatre. and pants.

Alicia and Brian said...

Hip hip for a blog entry that included the word "organist".

I am, officially, not alone :)

A-diggity

The Mortensen's said...

How fun is that?

The Richardsons said...

wow, a lot has happened since I checked your blog last! I'm glad you guys are safe in your new "home" and that Doug is lovin' dental school! I didn't know, did you get a new/similar job out there? What is Jackie up to these days?

Kadi said...

Sounds pretty cool. How was Ironman though? I hope you guys are having more good times...

whitney said...

organ music and "ironman" go together like chocolate and peanut butter. perfect matches. sounds like the night was a hit.