Monday, November 24

decor disasters

In an attempt to be cool and trendy, I decided to do a simple-yet-hip painting for our downstairs bathroom. Our hand towels are a light blue, so I was sure to carefully match the colors so it didn't look weird. Sitting at the kitchen table, it looked like I had matched the blues like a dream. I was really proud of myself.

However, when I finished the canvas and brought it into the bathroom, it turns out the lighting in the bathroom the blues horrific together. Just awful. I was so annoyed I let the painting sit on the floor for about a week. Finally I just hung it in a hallway near the bathroom as a symbol of how close I got to perfection.



Soon after I was on a cleaning rampage and I decided I would wash our bathroom rugs. I threw our dark brown rug from downstairs in with our very light tan rug from upstairs (typing this out it all seems so obvious...), and what did I end up with? A dark brown rug for downstairs and a nasty PINK rug for upstairs. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Teamed up with our pink tile, that bathroom now reminds me of Grandma Shirley's house. Awesome.



Sometimes I don't think I'm qualified to be a housewife. Or maybe I just need to stop decorating bathrooms.

9 comments:

whitney said...

oh sad. your picture is really cool, though... if that makes you feel any better. i have absolutely no talent to paint something like that, so you must be more qualified to be a housewife than me. :)

Kadi said...

I'm sorry the blues turned out so bad...don't give up though, maybe try mixing some other colors into the blue to get the right shade. The picture is totally cool. I have been trying to do birds forever and for some reason, I can't do birds, they turn out ugly. You'll have to teach me how to do yours. I'm sorry about the rugs too, that is so annoying. You are an awesome housewife though, I know it...Doug is totally happy...enough said.

Suzanne said...

We've all done it. I've done it. Twice. You'd think I'd have learned the first time, but no.

P.S. Matching is overrated. So is housewifery.

Colette said...

Doug and Jackie! It's colette from good ol' BYU 181! I just found your cute blog and am having fun getting updates on your fun life!
Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and it looks like you guys are doing awesome!
Hey, your pic looks awesome! Maybe change the lighting in the bathroom. You can get 'full spectrum' lightbulbs that mimic natural light for just about as cheap as you can get regular light bulbs. Maybe that will help. :)

Lindy said...

Wait--you have two floors? What are you, rich?

Jackie said...

Lind, we're living in a mansion. We have 6 servants each (but they don't wash rugs... obviously). Did I never mention that?

Wonderland Pearls & Purses said...

I think that picture is awesome and you should now give instructions on how one would create such a wall hanging.

AnnaYoung said...

First, I second the motion on posting a 'how-to' for that painting. We need wall-hangings BADLY.

Second, I turned a lot of claras diapers blue when I threw in a NAVY bath sheet in the sanitary cycle. I also accidentally turned some pink from some random red article of clothing that was so stealthy I have yet to find it. AND, I managed to turn the white fringe of Tyler's Favorite "Wingman-taking one for hte team" shirt a hideous, limey/vomit green. I'm not sure why he even has me do laundry. Seirsouly.

But keep on keepin' on man. I dig the decor-every floor : )

The Mortensens said...

Couple of things...

A - just buy new hand towels! HELLO! That pic is awesome ta boot!

B - I am laughing at the rug because I just threw away it's twin. DANG red towel did a number on a super cute rug that I adored. Curse you red towel! I should punish you with bleach!